Tags, tags, tags!

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
JohnCorl_x3

Tags, tags, tags!

Unread post by JohnCorl_x3 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:48 pm

A tagging system could be usefull to manage tons of re-volt content. Using this system you could add more information to a car or a track without having to actual edit them. You could also search through tags and use them as a filter. Tags could appear during car and track selection.

There could be two ways to adding tags: a tags.ini directly into the car/track folder or various .ini files inside a new \tags directory.
There could also be different tags types based on priority: for example "author" tag should have less priority to a "category" tag. High priority tags could appear white, low priority tags gray.

Here some examples:

- I'm making a car package for multiplayer use (not talking about I/O pack, trust me :grimacing:) and I want to give each car a different category, I could include a \tags\mypackage.ini file inside my package with the following content
[cars\car1]
MP Category=Rookie
[cars\car2]
MP Category=Pro
[cars\car3]
MP Category=Slugs
Players using my package can now know which car can use and filter them searching for "Slugs" for example.

- In the same package I have certain tracks, but I want to keep certain tracks in a different category, in \tags\mypackage.ini I could add
[levels\track1]
MP Category=Normal
[levels\track2]
MP Category=Bonus
If I'm using only "Normal" tracks I can recognize them looking at tags.

- I'm making a car and want people to remember my name (lol), so I would create a tags.ini inside my car folder containing
Author:JohnCorl
Info:This is an amazing car
Players can now look for my creations by searching "JohnCorl" in car selection (note that I used ":" instead that "=" because I give less priority to the author name than an eventual category).

- I'm an old Re-Volt veteran and I don't like you NEW COOL FEATURES, I can just edit rvgl.ini and change ShowTags to 0.

Additionally while hosting a multiplayer game I could select a player and rapidly check his tags to see if he picked the right car or not (but this should be another suggestion).
Marv
Developer

Re: Tags, tags, tags!

Unread post by Marv » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:17 am

I'd actually rather implement a new parameters keyword or extend the car classes feature. The same thing can be done for tracks.
This would be nice for hosts to limit the selection of cars to one class.
URV
Administrator

Unread post by URV » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:40 am

Regardless of the method itself, the ability to assign custom car classes and restrict sessions to specific classes (preferably more than one; e.g. Advanced and below) are very much needed features. The custom car classes would be useful for specialized car types such as clockworks, drift or joke cars, which users would be able to keep without having to constantly see them when playing in single-player. As for restricting sessions to specific car classes, it would definitely make it easier to ensure people pick the right cars and don't end up getting auto-kicked.

That said, I think I would also lean towards implementing a new parameters keyword. As far as extending the car classes feature, how would that work? What if we want to create new classes with custom names? It could be extremely helpful for organizing different types of custom content without separate "cars" folders or game installations.
JohnCorl_x3

Unread post by JohnCorl_x3 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:02 am

I fully support the idea of adding new custom parameters, but it's another suggestion that gives other advantages.

Using tags insted than new parameters have the advantage that you can do it client side only, having to edit paramenters.txt will give anticheat issues if the car is not updated, I guess.